Midway Fort families

In the summer of 1859, such pioneers as Jesse McCarroll and Benjamin Mark Smith began building homes along Snake Creek in the northwest part of the valley. This was an ideal location where there were many warm springs and rich soil, others helped plant a crop of grain on the choice lands along Snake Creek. These were Jeremiah Robey, David Wood, and Edwin Johnson. The crop was successful, and more cabins were built along the creek.

The settlement became known as Mound City because of the many hot pots (limestone mounds formed by hot mineral springs) that dot the area. It was also referred to as the upper settlement.

The lower settlement was located about a mile and a half south of the present Midway City, also called Smith’s Grove. It was at this location that John Van Wagoner built a crude grist mill. In 1866, Indian troubles forced the settlers to build a fort for their protection.

After a heated contest between the two settlements, they chose a site midway between lower and upper settlements, thus the name Midway was given to the new location.

Midway Fort Marker, located at 120 W Main Street, Midway Utah. In front of Midway Town Hall. 

When this valley was settled, in 1859, two colonies were established on the west side of Provo River, a lower and upper settlement, the latter called Mound City. In 1866 Indian depredations caused the formation of the Wasatch County Military District, and brought the people of these two settlements together for security. About 75 families erected homes on this site, Sidney H. Epperson was the Presiding Elder. The location being midway between the two original sites, the name by common usage became Midway.

References

The Way It Was; Dr. R. Raymond Green; p. 76